We at Home Eyecare are avid fans of the soap “Eastenders.” It was recently broadcasted throughout the various media outlets that the actress June Brown who plays Dot Cotton/Branning is losing her eyesight and she struggles to recognise people hence why she no longer attends awards and social gatherings as she doesn’t want other people to think she was rude.
So what is causing June Brown to lose her vision?
June is suffering from an age related condition known as Macular Degeneration for the past 10 years.
To learn more about Macular Degeneration please read our previously written article:
The key points of Macular Degeneration are:
- Leading cause of vision loss amongst the over 50s.
- The condition affects the macula which is an area behind the eye that is needed for sharp central vision.
- Risk factors include age, smoking and family history.
- Prevention includes giving up smoking, exercising regularly, eating a healthy diet of fish and vegetables.
- Only a full eye examination will detect age related Macular Degeneration. Your optician may ask you to look at an Amsler Grid.
Macular Degeneration and Eye Testing
Macular Degeneration is one of the leading causes of blindness in the over 50s and one of the best ways to detect macular degeneration is during a routine eye test. If you have been diagnosed with Macular Degeneration it is essential that you have regular eye tests to see the changes in vision from your last eye test.
If you feel you have difficulty with your vision do visit your local optician for an eye test.
If you are elderly and housebound due to any condition do give us a call at Home Eyecare for an NHS funded eye test at home.
Our team has over 20 years experience providing eye tests at home to patients who suffer from macular degeneration or any other disorder that makes them housebound.
If you are a patient or a carer you can trust Home Eyecare to provide you with the highest quality care when it comes to your eyes.